First trip of the year, Ulvsunda – Gärdsvik (30M)

And finally, we are splashed. After some trouble adding the last part of the bow spirit and the mast was put into place we finally left for the first voyage of the year. Winds were strong during the day and weather was sunny, but as soon as we left port, the wind died and it started to rain.

We set course towards Gärdsvik, the old homeport of Albatrossen Inger, a trip of 30 nautical miles. On board Inger, food, coffee and snacks are always served. Drinks are off course alcohol free! It took us in total 6 hours. With the newly painted hull, she did 5,5 knots on half throttle which is a good improvement from last autumn. Hopefully next time, we will have some wind so that we can set sail.

Installation of the new bowspirit and last spring fixes

To make it easier to embark Albatrossen Inger, we decided to install a bowspirit. First, we meassured everything both one, two and and least three more times to make sure that everything was correct. Not at all scary to make holes in the hull… To make the bowspirit as stable as possible and to make it a sight for soar eyes, we removed a part of the steel list in the bow.

When above was done, we drilled all holes, filled with “Sikaflex” (to make it water resistant) and then screwed everything in place.

Later that day, all white lines, the water line and the decorative line on the hull was painted with a one component enamel paint. Finally she is ready to be splashed.

Before:

After:

Painting the hull

Spring is here and it is time to paint the hull of Albatrossen Inger. Last year, her old owner painted her with Tiger Coat, hoping that this would keep the barnacles away. But no, no, they came back and in numbers. So first up was to remove and make sure we created a proper foundation for some new paint.

First up, sand the hull, everything from the painted waterline and below.

On some spots, all paint came off and parts of the gelcoat became visible. As an experiment instead of painting new layers of epoxy primer, I used “Marine Expoxifiller” from Lefant. I applied thin layers over the visible gelcoat. When the epoxifiller had harden, I quickly sanded the small reparations and then it was time for the first layer of paint.

Since Carl-Johan (former owner) has worked hard to keep Inger as environmental friendly as possible, I off course try my best to keep her in the same good shape. After some research, we went for “Neptune Formula” in the colour black. This is a one-component paint that is free from copper. I have not tried this one before so lets see if this together with regular cleaning (whilst Inger is in sea) can keep the barnacles away.

A second layer was applied and we are now ready. Next up is to paint the painted-waterline and then rub and polish the rest of the hull. Then it is time for Inger to back into the sea.